Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Royal Icing Tiara ( for the princess in your life! )

Hello, and welcome!
 I asked my 4 year old niece what kind of birthday cake she wanted and she said "princess!". Am I surprised?
Today I'll be sharing how to make a tiara (like the one below) out of royal icing, fit for any princess cake.
Here's what you'll need.
 Piping bag.
 Decorating tips ( i used a 16. Star and a 2.Round)
Wax Paper
Tape
Round container big enough to pipe your pattern onto.( I used an oatmeal container)
Paint Brushes
Silver Dust ( optional but won't be shiny and silver without it )
Food coloring in the color of your choice.
Royal Icing.
A pattern of a Tiara. ( I hand drew mine but here's a pattern i based mine off of)
Okay tape your pattern onto your container or copy it onto the back of the wax paper. Then tape wax paper over your pattern. This is what you'll pipe onto. Begin to pipe your pattern. Try to keep it as smooth as possible. I used the star tip for the bigger lines and the small round one for the small lines.
Here's my tiara after the first coat. Or was it the second? Anyways you'll want to do several layers, letting the royal icing dry in between. I only did two layers and mine broke :( So maybe three would be better. After your layers are done let it dry at least overnight.
 Okay the fun part. Untape your wax paper and slowly peel it off, taking the tiara with you. Mine broke when I did this.
But we can fix it! ( whew!) Take some royal icing and glue it back together. I also went over the break on the BACK of the tiara to make it stronger and didn't have any problems after that. Now it's time to paint it! take your silver dust and mix it with vodka, lemon juice, clear vanilla, or oil. I used lemon juice not having vodka or clear vanilla because it would dry better than the oil.
You only need a little liquid! Start with a few drops then add the silver dust till its nice and shiny and not too runny. Make more as you need it.
For any colored part of the tiara simply mix food coloring with a little water. Paint the tiara and let it dry. That's it! A little time consuming but well worth the effort. Now you have a beautiful crown ready to be put on any cake. And make little girls everywhere happy.
Thanks for reading. Let me know how YOUR tiara comes out. Happy Caking, Suzy

3 comments:

  1. Wow! that's amazing! Hooray for a cake blog, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It gives me a good excuse to make more cakes, instead of waiting for birthdays haha. Should be fun :)

    ReplyDelete